When you’re thinking about the safety of your family, it is only wise that you look closer into what they drink every day. Our body is consists of 75% water, that’s why we have to keep rehydrating as best as we can.
There are two ways that people can get their drinking water from, it can either be tap water from the state or municipality water system or pure bottle water from companies. These two options pose their own problems when it comes to long-term safety for our bodies.
This article is a simple guide for you to know the dangers that you may find in drinking tap water and the benefits when you choose bottled water.
Dangers of drinking tap water
Tap water comes from water utilities in municipalities or states. They follow the standards of the EPA or also known as Environmental Protection Agency that looks after the chemicals and ingredients that are being included in your everyday water.
The Environmental Working Group, a non-profit organization, recently tested the tap water in U.S. They found out that this water has 260 contaminants. The chemicals that are usually included in tap water are as follows:
- Chlorine dioxide – It is used to disinfect the tap water. It has high percentage of possibility to neutralize oxygen. And once chlorine is inside our body, it depletes the oxygen and makes it acidic.
- Fluoride – Although dentists say that fluoride is healthy for our teeth, it does not have enough evidence to prove this case. Fluoride is known to be a pollutant when it goes out into the air and when it gets to the river. How much more poisonous is it when people start drinking it?
- Lead – It can come from pipes and drainage system. Children who may drink water with lead can delay the mental and physical development. Adult who drinks it increases their blood pressure, and over time, they could develop problems in their kidneys.
There are more chemicals found in tap water that could be harmful for your family. These harmful effects could be both short-term and long-term.
Benefits of drinking pure water in bottles
Many people are now choosing to drink water from purifying companies that produces water in bottles, gallons or other containers. But what do you get when you drink water that is already purified? Here are some of the benefits that you could get when you choose this option.
- Better taste – Bottled water are known to have flavouring agents that consumers prefer because it enhances the taste of the water. Some products have sugar, tropical and fruity flavours to help consumers switch from soda products to water.
- Electrolytes and some other nutrients – Some water bottle brands include sodium and potassium, known as electrolytes, in their products. The electrolytes help replenish the lost water in the body. Most of the sports drink has less than 8% of the electrolytes as regulated by the American College of Sports Medicine.
- Odor-free – The bottled waters are known to have no aromas and that’s why some people would prefer drinking it compared to tap water.
- May increase consumption – When people drink in bottled water or in gallons of purified water, they can follow the in-take every day and observe how many glasses they usually have.
There’s no known research that proves that bottled water is better compared to drinking tap water. It all comes down to your preference and which of the two you think is better for the safety of your family.
If you choose tap water, make sure to examine your pipe and always be on a look-out for foul odors, discolouring or awful taste. If you choose to drink bottled water, remember to read the chemicals and ingredients that are included in the process of making it.